Nov 2, 2016

Never Forget

Something someone told me that I've never forgotten.

Ice cream for two


My mom has said many things I've never forgotten but the one that came to mind immediately when I saw this prompt on Mai's blog was this:

Never stop talking to Jesus.  Mom has always believed that at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is our relationship with God.  And she encouraged me to maintain that connection no matter what.  Crucially, she pointed out that I must keep talking to Him even if I was knowingly doing wrong.  As an example, she pulled out a classic "sin" among old-school "health-message" Adventists-eating ice cream.  "Even if you find yourself eating a bunch of ice cream," she said, "and you know you shouldn't be doing it--even then, don't stop talking to Jesus.  Just tell Him, 'I know I shouldn't be eating this ice cream right now, and I don't even want to stop, but I'm still coming to You anyway.'"  While I personally don't think ice cream eating is a sin (and I'm kind of doubtful she does either), I got the point.  If I'm at the point of "if this wrong, I don't want to be right," (which would definitely be the case if it were a pint of Jeni's), even then, keep talking.

I guess Mom took the Savior at His word: "Him that cometh to Me, I will in no wise cast out."  Her take was, as long as you just keep on coming back, He will never turn you away.

Ever since, this philosophy has been the anchor for my faith. No matter what, never stop talking to Jesus.

No comments: