Nov 7, 2016

Air Guitar

Something I wish I was great at.



I'm actually pretty good at air guitar (Aren't we all?)  But I've always wished that I could play the actual guitar.  I love music.  As you may recall, the perfect song is one of things that makes me really happy.  So for someone who enjoys music as much as I do, to not be able to actually play any music is kind of sad.

It's not that I even need to be "great" at it. I don't have a longing to create amazing, original songs.  I've never fantasized about writing music--I can't even fathom how musicians do it.  I don't think I've ever imagined an original melody (not a good one anyway) in my head. I just want to be able to play what other people have written.   I don't wish I was in a world-famous band (though it does sound fun), but I wouldn't mind being able to be in regular not-famous band, to help out with praise and worship on Sabbath.  To be able to lead worship in my own home (I've always hated singing without accompaniment during worship--excepting those awesome acapella moments when the band cuts out and the whole audience sings along together).  I wish was good enough to learn to play the songs I love.

But the truth is, I've had opportunities and I squandered them all.  My grandmother taught me piano when I was a child, but I got bored of it and quit.  Nobody forced me to keep playing whether I wanted to or not, and I kind of wish they had.  During high school, I took a semester of piano, but again did nothing else with it after the class was over.  In college I briefly took guitar lessons--but that also didn't take.  Most recently, when we moved to Ohio, my mother bought me a guitar as a birthday present.  It's the one you see pictured above. I got a book of chords and decided I would at least teach myself some chords so that I could play for my children during family worship.  I didn't follow through on that either. The chord book is in the closet, the guitar sits in a corner in its case,  with a broken string, gathering dust.

This is one of the great wishes of my life, that I could just play effortlessly.  And therein lies the rub. It's  not effortless.  At least not at first.  Effortless playing has to be earned through, well. . .effort.  And I just have never been willing to pay the cost.  I still tell myself that one of these days I'll finally do it--finally learn to play.  In the meantime, there's always the air guitar.

No comments: