Mar 31, 2020

Dispatch from Coronaville: Too Much Home Work

Yesterday I ended the day feeling really depressed. At first I wasn't sure why. The day had been very productive and I thought I'd used my time wisely. But then I realized: I had spent eleven and a half hours working without a break, beginning at 9:00 AM until 8:30 PM.  And even after a late supper at 8:30 I continued to respond to work-related emails, text messages, and chats until after 10 PM.  No one wonder I ended the day feeling frazzled!

When school first shut down I imagined that I'd have lots of time to read, watch movies, and  putter around the house. That has not been my story.  I didn't anticipate I'd be as busy (if not busier) than I had been when I went to school every day. Granted, I do like the flexibility of my day, working from home, but what I'm finding is that it makes me more flexible to do more work.  Maintaining work-life balance is actually more important (and more difficult) now that I'm at home.

Today went better, I have to say, but I still found I had to place limits on myself to prevent work from taking over. For example, I didn't eat a hearty breakfast this morning (frozen waffles with mixed berries and whipped cream,and a glass of orange juice), but my Zoom and Google Hangout meetings with my students begin at noon and run until 4 PM. For the first half of my meetings I was starving! Clearly a solid, healthy breakfast is a must. I finally got a break when my Algebra I meeting ended a little early and I had time catch a quick lunch. However, I had to make a conscious decision to leave my phone upstairs in my the guest bedroom/office so I'd have a break from the never ending chimes of notifications. I also made it a goal to stop work at 4 PM every day.  I got pretty close, finishing up around 4:15 and heading out for satisfying 45 minute run. Granted I do plan to go back tonight and prep my daily emails, but I still feel I'm doing better. It's also 11:32 PM and I have not gone to bed yet. I did spend some time watching Jojo Rabbit while folding clothes so that has to count for something.

My goal is to get up by seven every morning, have devotions and breakfast and be ready to start working by 8:30.  My mornings will be devoted to lesson prep (making YouTube instructional videos and planning activities) and grading. Class time will begin at noon until 4 PM.  And 4 PM on will be time for me and for my family. Hopefully I'll be in bed by 11 every night. Just not tonight.

The Numbers so far: There definitely appears to be a pattern here. The rate of infections is increasing but the rate at which it is increasing is slowing. Meanwhile the death rate continues to hold just below my predictions. I expected the number of infections to stand at 221,530. Instead we have 187,176.  The deaths are 4,087, now the third highest in the world and only just shy of my prediction of 4,656.  Here's the new numbers I project we'll see by Friday night: With a percent increase of 53%,  284,507 cases and deaths with an increase of 92% (also below 100% for the first time) at 7,847. We are still climbing the peak, but it's taking us longer to get there.

And my three states:
Florida: Infections increase 67% to 6,741, 0.03% of the population. Deaths increase 52% to 85, the same rate of 1.4%
Ohio: Infections increase 56% to 2,199, 0.02% of the population. Deaths increase 120% to 55, a rate of 2.5%. Not good.
Nebraska:  Infections increase 60% to 193, 0.01% of the population. Deaths increase 100% to 4,  a rate of 2%.

I have to say Florida, despite it's reputation and fifth highest infection rate in the nation is not looking too shabby. Yes,it has the highest percent increase in infections but it's got the lowest death rate and the lowest percent increase in deaths--by a significant percentage! While Ohio may be flattening the curve, of the three, Ohio is not the state you want to be in if you test positive.

No comments: