Aug 8, 2007

Hawaii Digs


Kailua Guesthouse: The View

Babs and I arrived (on seperate flights)in Hawaii on Wednesday, July 25, 2007. We would spend exactly one week on the island of Oahu and while there we would stay at three different locations.

There are worse ways to live out of a suitcase.

Hawaii Digs 1: Kailua Guesthouse
We spent our first two nights in Kailua, on the windward side of Oahu, at the home of a local church member. Barbara's principals' meetings were being held at the Adventist school in Kailua. Only a 25 minute drive over the striking mountain peaks from Waikiki, Kailua is a world away from the bustle and traffic of Oahu's leeward tourist quarter. It's quiet and beautiful, and while our accomodations were humble, our surroundings were grand.


Kailua Guesthouse

Kailua Guesthouse: The Room


The Car

I guess we get pretty lucky with our car rentals. We just rented the regular "standard" car and they gave us this flashy Dodge Magnum at no additional charge. We got one in California a few years ago as well, when they first came out.

Hawaii Digs II: Aqua Palms & Spa in Waikiki
Friday July 27, 2007 was Bab's and I's 10th wedding anniversary (More on that in another entry!) and we celebrated by booking a room for two nights at the Aqua Palms and Spa, a snappy little boutique hotel a block from the beach. I was very pleased with the deal we got--$120 a night (in an extremely expensive district like Waikiki, that was a steal!) for a very nice room and a good view of Diamond Head from our balcony. With marble detailing in the bathroom, complimentary high speed internet service, and free continental breakfast every morning, I think we lucked out! There's a reason why this hotel is one of the top-rated hotels on TripAdvisor.com! In terms of comfort, it was comparable to some of the 5 star joints we've stayed in without the 5-Star price.


Aqua Palms & Spa: The View of Diamond Head, looking straight ahead from the balcony

Aqua Palms & Spa: View of Waikiki, standing on the balcony and looking to your right

The Aqua Palms & Spa

Aqua Palms & Spa: The Room

Hawaii Digs III: Hawaiian Mission Academy
Our final three nights in Hawaii, beginning on Sunday, July 29, 2007 were spent at our usual Hawaii lodging, Hawaiian Mission Academy. There we met the new student missionaries heading out to Micronesia and helped with the orientation activities for them. After living it up on the weekend, it was back to the humble dorm room!


Hawaiian Mission Academy: The View


Hawaiian Mission Academy Dormitory


Hawaiian Mission Academy: The Room

I was in the school office at Hawaiian Mission Academy on Monday, waiting to use the copy machine. While I waited, I was absently looking at the framed photos of the illustrious alumni and supporters of HMA when who should I see smiling back at me from his handsomely framed photo but my uncle, Ben Lau! Uncle Ben is married to my grandmother's sister Yvonne, so I guess that makes him my great-uncle. The last time I saw Uncle Ben & Auntie Yvonne was right here in Honolulu 13 years ago, when I was on my way to Chuuk as a student missionary. They graciously invited me and some of my friends to their home for dinner. A year later they moved to Hong Kong and are now in California, I believe. It was nice to see Uncle Ben after all these years, even if it was only a picture!


Uncle Ben!

Me and Uncle Ben

3 comments:

Brit's Blog said...

What a family resemblence between you and Uncle Ben. (lol...your awesome Sean!)

Looks like you and Barbara had fun in Hawaii. I love it that you took time to do more then orientation there. You two deserve it!

Rock on!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you. This will be a great year. God is in control.

Bev said...

love the pimp ride! Looks like you had a great time.