Feb 9, 2007

Experimenting With a New Look


Sushi on a Saturday night! From L to R: Crystal Pierson, Bev, Britni, Mai, Grant, a blurry Missy and the edge of Layla. Saturday night, January 27, 2007


Well, I’m trying a new look for the Journal Online. I’m not sure that this is really it. It looked so much cooler in the sample than on my blog. But, it matches the color of my current pen and paper Journal and my idea is that I’m going to change my Journal Online template whenever I start a new notebook in my pen and paper journal. I started Vol. 41 this week. The other forty notebooks I’m keeping in plastic storage box in my closet—my whole life since the age of eleven!

Anyway, I’ll keep plugging away at it until I finally have a “look” I can be proud of. For now, I’m not there yet. One thing I don’t like about this layout is that all my sidebars are down at the bottom of the page, so if you want to link, say to Grant’s page or the Piersons or to my favorite website (Interference.com), you have to scroll all the way down to know you can even do such a thing. I want to move them so they’re up at the top of the page but I’m not sure how to do it. And you should DEFINTELY check out Bev, Grant, and the Pierson’s blogs. They are doing way more exciting things than I am these days and they’ve got GREAT photos!

Below a few highlights from the past few weeks:

Two Saturday nights ago we went to see In Transit. . .Stuck in an Airport, a play produced by a group of Saipan-based writers/actors. The play was a series of monologues told as stories by people who were stuck in our own Saipan airport during a typhoon. Most of the monologues were performed by the writers and they told their stories of what it’s like to live in Saipan—some monologues were funny, some serious—many of them were both funny and serious. It was all very well done, and we had a wonderful, enriching evening. The thing is Grant and I had a chance to be a part of the production but we couldn’t think of any good stories we could tell and so we never followed up on the opportunity. I wish we’d thought a little bit harder because it looked like a lot of fun and I know we would have had a blast doing it. Maybe next time. . .

Two Fearless Leaders: Ken Pierson, director of the SDA Dental Clinic and our own Babs, principal of the Saipan SDA School. This picture was taken at the play In Transit.

Afterwards Layla, Missy, Mai, Grant, Britni, Bev, the Piersons, and Barbara and I all went to a sushi restaurant in Garapan. We all sat on pillows around a traditional-style low Japanese table and gorged ourselves on some delicious sushi! We got the spicy tuna rolls and the avocado sushi. Grant and I decided to be adventurous. . . or rather more accurately, Grant decided to be adventurous and I followed along gamely. . .and tried some octopus. Link to his blog to read his descriptive take on what it’s like to eat octopus (think flavorless chewing gum) and link to the Pierson’s blog to see an unflattering picture of me eating octopus. (I have a picture, which I won’t post, which is even more unflattering. This blog is supposed to make me look good, after all!).

Layla indulges in some caviar. . .well, not actually. They are fish eggs though. They look like little orange candies, have the texture of pop rocks, and don't taste like much of anything.


Don't you just love sushi?



Here's my favorite sushi dip--soy sauce, some garlic cloves, and most important of all wasabi (a Japanese horseradish sauce. Very green and very HOT)!

Coming Up!!
Things are going to get exciting and still more busy in the coming weeks and should make for some great blog entries.
First up, will be REAL Christian Theater's dinner show--this one entitled Class Reunion. For the first time ever we'll be staging our play at a local hotel so our ticket prices have gone up. Hopefully we'll make a bundle for our trip the Philippines in May. Below is a cast photo of our class purportedly taken in 1987 (the play takes place at a high school's 20 year reunion). Also there will be a screening of Stat e of Liberty, the TV show I acted in this past fall. In a few more weeks will be going on our annual school camping trip and then in March we're taking the 8th graders to Singapore (which will also bring the Journal Online to it's one year anniversary!).
Lots to look forward to!


The cast of our dinner theater mystery Class Reunion, the "Looneyville High School Class of 1987."

For the past three Friday nights REAL Christian Theater has been performing at Friday night church services. Unfortunately, my camera would run out battery before the show started so all the pictures below are from before the show began.

Friday, January 26, 2007, New Covenant Life Church: About an hour before showtime, Grant rehearses with the team on our show finale, "Where is God"


Friday, February 2, 2007, Saipan Central Seventh-day Adventist Church: Director "The Diva" (Left) and Britni set up sound and lights for our performance. ("CK Girl" and "Jeane" are in the background).

Friday, February 9, 2007, Grace Christian Church: The team joins in the praise & worship service before taking the stage for our performance.



A few weeks ago, Barbara was talking to her sister Jenny about Jesco, the dog we've semi-adopted. (You may recall that last fall we experimented with bringing Jesco inside. It did not work out). Well, at the time I remember saying that I'd put a video up of Jesco so she could see Jesco for herself and give us her professional opinion on him. (Jenny knows her dogs). So, Mom Leen, tell Jenny to look at this blog entry!







5 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked the site. When you come to the Philippines and have extra time, you may want to visit our Adventist Church outside Digos. It is called Highway View and visitors are always welcome.

It is north west of town and the local Adventist college is aboout a mile or so west of us. The church here is on the family property donated by wifes family to have a church nearby.

If you want more info write me at marvgenebesh@gmail.com or look on the church locator for us also.

Marvin Beshirs

Anonymous said...

Loved the drama pics. The new look's not bad. Talk to Bev. She found a website that has a bunch of blogger backgrounds. Maybe there you can find one that fits like a glove. G-rant

Sean said...

Actually I did talk to Bev which is how I found this particular template. She said to do a search of blogger templates on google. That's how she found hers. There are literally tons of sites where you can download templates, so I'll continue searching until I find the "perfect fit."

Sean said...

Marvin,

We'd love to visit your church and even perform for the youth there if it's possible.

Stay in touch and let me know.

Sean

Bev said...

i like your template Sean! oh and I love sushi too!=)