Jul 20, 2020

Dispatch from Coronaville: The Basics

So today I'm just gonna get right to it. It's 11:35 PM and I have a literal mountain of laundry to fold. And tomorrow is a very busy day, starting with a morning run. Then I'm making Chipotle at Home for lunch (basically I make all the Chipotle dishes--the chicken, the grilled veggies, cilantro lime rice, the salsas, guac, etc--at home) and that takes a long time. Planning for my 8th graders graduation on Sunday, as well as meeting with them for a Zoom practice of their speeches.  Planning for next school year. School board meeting in the evening. Ugh, I'm tired just thinking about it.

As of today, we've had a total of 3,843,136 case of COVID-19. This reflects 186,116 new cases over the last three days, and a decrease of around 40,000 cases over the last three-day numbers. That's good news. We've had a total of 140,842 total deaths from the virus.  This includes 1,744 new deaths over the past three days. This is a decrease in the number of new deaths over the past three days. Also good news. I was 51,000 cases over the actual number, and about there were about 2,000 fewer deaths than I'd projected. I'm happy with those numbers.

I predict that by Thursday, July 23, we'll pass the four million mark with 4,035,2923 total cases and 142,672 total deaths.


All three states have posted a second consecutive three-day period of decline in new cases.  Florida's numbers are still the state's third highest ever, with 33,153 new cases. Ohio's new cases also are third highest recorded in the state. But a decline is a decline. I'll take it.  Could this mean that we've had the peak of our second wave? I hope so.
Total Cases
Florida: 360,386 total cases, 1.7% of the population
Ohio: 76,168 total cases, 0.65% of the population
Nebraska: 22,847 total cases, 1.2% of the population


Deaths spiked up over the last three days in Ohio, but not dramatically so. Florida posted a decrease in the number of new deaths, but it's numbers are still quite high. Nebraska remains as unchanging as cornfield stretching towards the horizon, easing back down in deaths during this period. The state will likely post a modest increase over the next three days.
Total Deaths
Florida: 5,071 deaths, a rate of 1.4%
Ohio: 3,189 deaths, a rate of 4.2%
Nebraska: 313 deaths, a rate of 1.4%

No comments: