Mar 4, 2018

Respite

Every parent should have a little respite.  A few days where you can rest until you feel like sleeping and sleep until you feel waking.  A few days where you don't have to worry about making meals, handing out snacks, giving baths, picking up and dropping off, tidying and cleaning, mediating disputes and reprimanding bad behavior.  A few days where you can read a bit, watch a few episodes of your favorite Netflix series, go out to eat, or to a movie,  and have adult conversations without interruptions (at least from your own kids).  Parenting is a wonderful blessing but sometimes you just need a break.

When I first decided to zip down to Florida for a weekend it was mainly to spend some time with my mom, who normally I see maybe once or twice a year.  Since we live so far from her, I'm trying to increase those times. And so Barbara agreed to let me take a quick trip this past weekend.  It would have been too expensive for us all to travel for such a short time so it was just me. An unexpected blessing of this time was the respite from parenting for a weekend and it's something I recommend every parent take at least once a year.  I honestly think you'll be a better parent for it.

The view from the parking lot of mom's apartment complex. Isn't it gorgeous? Hills in Florida!  Who would have thought?

My mother has recently moved from Ocoee to even further outside of Orlando, to the community of Clermont.  My sister and her family live in nearby Groveland.  This was my first time visiting them in their new community and I have to say I was amazed. I had no idea such a beautiful area existed in central Florida.  I grew up in Florida, often drove north to Gainseville, east to Daytona and New Symrna, southwest to Tampa and even on occasion went south to Miami and the Keys.  But somehow I never traveled due west and discovered Florida's best kept secret--what I call the "Wakanda of Florida" of magical paradise hiding in plain sight.  While almost all of Florida is pancake flat,  Clermont and the surrounding area is a land of rolling hills, stunning, expansive vistas, and a multitude of lakes--so many that it feels like you're near the beach.

I took a non-stop flight to Orlando after school on Friday, February 23.  Another hidden gem is Frontier Airlines.  Their base prices for tickets are bargain basement cheap (I  spent $130 for a round trip and prices go lower than that) and their flights are non-stop.  Granted they will nickel and dime you if you let them.  They charge for everything--snacks and drinks, checked and carry on luggage, choosing your seat.  But you don't have to pay these upcharges.  Travel with nothing more than a carry-on the size of laptop bag or purse  and "take whatever" seats are available at boarding (that's actually how they word it on their website as they try pressure you into spending $12 to $20 bucks for the privilege of choosing your seat.  You can click on the big green choose seats button or select the small print "No thanks, I'll take whatever").  Not only do you save money but it is so freeing to walk into the airport with but nothing but a single bag slung over your shoulder, skip the lines at check-in, breeze through security and hop on the plane.

Cruising with my sis and her kids.  I think this was on the way to dinner Sunday night.  Vince was right behind me and Mom was in the way-back. Jim and Dawn's oldest son met us at the restaurant.

Of course the highlight of my visit was the time with family.   I spent hours chatting with my mom and siblings.  We had a nice leisurely Sabbath lunch after church at my sister's lakefront home.  On Sunday my brother Vince and brother-in-law Jim went to see Black Panther, and we closed out the weekend Sunday evening with a wonderful meal, all of us together, at Lily's on the Lake, a beautiful lake shore restaurant. 

At Lily's on the Lake, Sunday night, February 25, 2018

But probably one of the most special moments of the weekend for me was after lunch on Sabbath when Dawn offered to take Vince and I out on the lake in their little skiff. The three of us motored out on to the lake, Dawn at the helm, Vince and I sitting back to back on one of the low wooden benches in the boat, wearing the floppy fisherman's hats Dawn gave us.  It was just one of those times when you just know you're making a memory.  It's not too often the three of us are together--just us three like we were when were kids and we shared a bedroom, my bed on one side, Vince on the other and Dawn in the middle.  But on that little boat in the middle of the lake, the warm sunshine on our backs, the conversation easy and pleasant, it was truly special to be together again.  I don't know if they felt it like I did, but for me those 15 or 20 minutes will always be a very special memory to me.  I didn't bring my phone with me to capture the moment (I was worried about losing it if we capsized) and indeed, as is my bad habit, I didn't take many pictures at all during the weekend.  But I have lots of mental snapshots and I will cherish them.

Before I  knew it, it was Monday morning and time to jet back to Ohio. Mom and Dawn took me to the airport, and a few hours later I was back in the hustle and bustle of ordinary life.  My brief respite from my crazy everyday life was over, but I have wonderful, warm memories of a peaceful weekend with the family I grew up with.  I can't wait to go back this summer, this time with my own family in tow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup! That ride felt like the good ol’ days for me as well! Glad you felt it too :)

Dawn