May 8, 2009
The Saipan To-Do List--Updated
Lately, we'll look back and be shocked to realize that some things that are part of life in Saipan, we've already done "for the last time" and we didn't even know it at the time: New Year's Eve on Mt. Tapochau, Christmas Eve at Carol's, the school's fall picinic, travel to Palau, and so many more.
But there are many more things we still have time to savor. The list continues here.
Time is running down, and I suspect I'm going to have a hard time documenting the items on this list as they're checked off. Still, I'll definitely italicize each item as it's accomplished and hopefully add a photo or two, so keep checking back. (I'll have a reminder and link on my sidebar too).
In no particular order, before we leave Saipan on July 5, 2009, I want to:
2. Have dinner with Rex and Clarie Kosack, and our original Marriage Encounter Steps group. Done, Monday, June 15, 2009 although it was just Rex and Clarie instead of the whole group. It was a lovely evening. Look for an upcoming blog on dinner two of our dearest friends on Saipan.
3. Go to Russ and Kanae Quinn's Bible study. Done. Monday, June 22, 2009
4. Sing karaoke with the Lacortes. Done, May 31, 2009
5. Camp at Managaha. Done, Saturday night, June 20 through Sunday, June 21, 2009. No Capture the Flag though. Just Babs, Elijah, the Paezes, and the Piersons taking it easy. And that was okay with me.
6. Run from one end of Saipan to the other (this coincides naturally with my training for the San Francisco Marathon in July). Done, June 7, 2009.
7. Run with Vince Asanuma on the Beach Road pathway like we used to do back in day.
8. Watch the sun rise at Banzai Cliff and drink an Extra Strength Red Bull toast to the 4Runners!
9. Run to the top of Suicide Cliff
10. Go to San Juan Beach-- the site of the beginning of me and Grant's "lost in the boonies" adventure, and the men's campout--and get washed by the waves if possible. Done, Sabbath, June 13, 2009.
11. Do the tank swim on on a regular basis, and swim to the second tank at least once.
12. Go diving 5 to 10 more times (3 down and 2 to go. Most recent dive was last Friday, June 19 at Obyan Beach. The one before that was Sunday, May 31, 2009 at the Grotto).
13. Go to Tinian and spend time with the Rankins.
14. Spend the night at the Marianas Resort.
15. Spend the day at Pacific Islands Club and eat lunch at the Magellan. Done, Sunday, June 14, 2009.
16. Go to the Mandi Asian Spa at least three more times.
17. Have a picnic breakfast on the beach behind Aquarius.
18. Eat at Coffee Care twice in May, every week in June and every day of our last week in Saipan.
19. Eat at Giovannis, Capriciossa's, Yellow Mango, Len, Casa Urahsima, Oleai's, Spicy Thai, Taste of India.
20. Go to the abandoned Rudolpho's restaurant and shuttered La Fiesta Mall, stand there, and remember the early days of our time in Saipan when these places were alive and vibrant.
21. Have coffee and philosophical discussion with Galvin Deleon Guerrero.
22. Take my last class of graduating seniors out for dinner. Done at Casa Urashima, Wednesday, June 24, 2009.
23. Have lunch with Cliff and Denise Shoemake.
24. Look up Butch Wolf and see what he's up to.
25. Hike to Forbidden Island and climb to the top of the island. Done, Sabbath, June 6, 2009.
26. Hike to Old Man by the Sea.
27. Have sundown vespers at Ladder Beach. Done, Friday, June 12, 2009.
28. Go to Wing Beach on Sabbath afternoon.
29. Go to the Last Command Post.
30. Hang out with Joeie and Virle and watch a bunch of TV and movies. Done, Saturday night, June 13, 2009.
31. Go bike riding with Girlie, Antonee, and Edna.
32. Attend the Marianas March Against Cancer--Done, May 22, 2009
It goes without saying that this list will be edited, added to and updated regularly.