Apr 26, 2022

92: The One in the Spring

 

No this isn't graduation. This is the awards ceremony at the end of the Spring Track & Field Meet and Picnic, Sunday, April 26, 1992. Our class claimed another moral victory (since we didn't have an an actual victory).  Many of my classmates donned their robes to remind everyone that we were out of there in a few weeks.

On Sunday, April 26, 1992, our senior class participated in the last competitive event of the school year. The mood of the spring picnic was very different from the fall. At least for me.  

Once again our class didn't win. (I don't recall if we were dead last again, or not. It would not surprise me if we were). Once again, I watched from the sidelines rather than participating. Once again those musclebound juniors took first place.  But the way we all approached the track and field meet, also known as the spring picnic appeared to have changed.  This time we let the juniors enjoy their victory. There was no petty flag stealing, no unsportsmanlike taunts. I was more positive, and more reflective. 

Instead of sneering at the whole event, I chose instead to ponder the beauty of the hard-won victory. I had forgotten until I read about it in my journal, how the girls of our class actually dropped the rope during tug of war, only to pick it back up again, and end up winning the contest.

More than any specific events of the day, I remember clearly how I felt. That sense of bittersweet peace and wonder was captured in the quiet of Maloney living room, late Sunday afternoon, when I left the picnic for awhile and went to Chandra's house and listened to her practice for graduation.

Here's my journal account of that day.  It was a long entry, mostly some thoughtful reflections on a couple of close friendships. I've left a lot of that out, to focus on the events of the day:

"Today was the picnic and we lost again, for the final time.  This is the very last picnic for the class of 1992.  Three weeks from today we will be alumni of F.L.A.  No one really felt bad that we lost; my thing when the juniors went crazy when they were announced the winners was 'What are they cheering for.  They're stuck here for another year.' But we played hard and placed in quite a few events.  Sipho Nkosi got Athlete of the Day.  It was awesome at the awards ceremony.  Half of our class showed up in their robes and they played 'Pomp & Circumstance'.  Seniors Rule. What can I say.

Athlete of the Day, Sipho Nkosi on the winners podium





We spent most of the day, or I did anyway, hanging out at my car with Greg, Chris, and Carissa and various other people, listening to my Beatles and Kings X tapes.

We had our barbeque and that was real good. Also wandered around the fields, talked to the War Pig (not us [by "us"  I meant the group of us that had been sowing mischief around campus for the past month or so--they included Joey Gravell, Mark Reams, Erik Wyand and a few others], but Lena and Tonya's crowd. I jokingly refer to them as the War Pig.  Little do they [except for Tonya] know. . .) [apparently, I told Tonya that I was part of the War Pig? So much for secrecy!] and also Chandra.  Went over to Chandra's for a little while this afternoon. . .

At the Barbeque


On the field. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the events themselves







I was watching Chandra practice her piece that she's playing for graduation when I was at her house and it was so incredible.  I was absolutely awestruck.  That something of such awe and beauty and power could come from her.  As I watched her hands flying over those keys producing those gorgeous sounds, I can't describe how I felt.  It was just incredible.  I have gained so much respect and admiration for Chandra and other musicians because watching her play was like watching a small miracle.

You can watch Chandra's actual performance of "Malaguena" at graduation here.  Just fast foward to the 14:26 mark.

Another thing I found interesting was was watching people in competition today.  It was really fascinating to watch people I knew so well just pouring their hearts into something like that.  Watching the Tug of War and watching our girls drop the rope, pick it up and still win and watching the guys give everything they had, it was really something.  And no matter what they say there is something really nice about winning.  Watching the faces of my classmates when they won. It was just very interesting, to watch people give everything they have and watch it pay off.  That's what's so alluring about the winning team, particularly when the victory is hard won.  That is about all for today."

No comments: