Nov 8, 2017

Standout

What sets you apart from the crowd?



What are some aspects of me that are unusual, that make me different from most people?  I came up with a few things that make me stand out from the crowd:


My metabolism. I have an unusually high metabolism. I’ve always been a good 20-30 lbs underweight and I have also always been a big eater.  I’ve just never been able to gain weight. I think my metabolism is only now beginning to slow ever so slightly.  But at least so far I’ve been able to eat and drink what I want, exercise when the mood strikes, all without consequences.


My memory. I have remarkably good memory.  I keep a whole calendar in my head, and learning lines has always been easy for me.


My life in paradise. Most people dream of the life Barbara and I lived for 11 years on the tropical island paradise of Saipan in the Northern Marianas Islands.  We were lucky enough to live that life. Living the tropical island dream comes with costs though--I think it’s why more people don’t  do it.  Distance from family, the inconveniences that come with island living, and the fishbowl existence of missionary life are sacrifices the average person isn’t willing to make.  But we were, and indeed most of the time it barely felt like a sacrifice at all.  

There are other things that make me different but most, but I think three will do for now.

No comments: