Jun 4, 2022

Alone in Hawaii


 Tonight I sat on the crowded sands of Waikiki Beach as the sun set, ushering in another Sabbath. I was surrounded by people--frat bros and honeymooners and girls in swimsuits and older couples and little Asian kids and the occasional homeless person curled up on their belongings in the sand and the sad guy with dark beard and yellow shirt strumming original tunes on his guitar--and yet quite alone.

Strangely enough, I think I've been utterly alone in Hawaii more often than any other place in the world.  Granted their have been conferences--in Boston in 2019 and Las Vegas in 2015, but I was busy--learning and interacting.  But I can't think of any other place besides Hawaii where I've been completely by myself with nothing to do.

The first time was in March of 2004.  My grandfather had passed away and I'd returned to the U.S. Mainland for his memorial. The plan was to fly back to Guam, where I'd meet up with REAL Christian Theatre, my drama ministry team.  We'd do a series of shows and then return to Saipan together.  Well, a mechanical issue with the plane in Houston scuttled those plans.  By the time I finally landed at Daniel K. Inouye Airport on the island of Oahu, I'd missed my connecting flight to Guam and there was nothing available in the imminent future. Continental put me up in a hotel in Honolulu while they figured out how to get me home.  It took them two days and I would ended up taking the island hopper flight through Micronesia, arriving at Agana Heights SDA Church in Guam, Saturday evening during the final act of the play I was supposed to act in.

I don't remember much about those two days in Hawaii. I know I spent the bulk of the full day there at the airport trying to find a flight that would get me to Guam in time for the drama tour. But other than that I don't remember much. I didn't go to the beach, didn't leave the hotel, actually, except to go to the airport.  I was in paradise and completely alone.

And I find myself in that same place--paradise, and alone--today.  My class of 2022 left last night after an epic class trip in Hawaii. They had such a great time!  And I did too--despite the nonstop schedule and never ending to-do list. Just seeing the wonder and joy on my kids faces, to see their eyes opening to all that is possible for them was worth all the headaches of pulling this all together. This afternoon my class of 2020, now about to enter their junior year of high school, was supposed to arrive, and we'd begin the adventure all over again.  But their flight got canceled and now they aren't arriving until tomorrow afternoon.  I was gifted an extra day of peace, quiet, rest, vacation!  An extra day of being alone.

Like last time, I spent most of this day making arrangements. I was on three different phone calls for a total of five hours this morning into this afternoon.  The problem-solving left me drained and exhausted.  I was supposed to meet my cousin this afternoon, but I was so worn out, I couldn't think about driving. I ate a bento box lunch in my room and then went back to work. I managed to get some laundry done between tasks.  I never did make it to the beach until just before sunset.

Hawaii is wonderful. But it's so much better when you can share it with others.

This is me and our school secretary Mr. Fierro, with the some of our Aloha-shirted students from the 8th grade class of 2022


At the top of Diamond Head


At the Luau

Hawaii is not just where I've been lonely. It's also where I've spent at least a couple of anniversaries. Babs and I spent our nine year anniversary here on Oahu.

I'd love to have this pretty face sitting across from me (July 27, 2006)



We also spent our ten year anniversary here:


Our tenth wedding anniversary, July 27, 2007


One of my favorite pictures. I  miss my travel buddy!

I've been lost on the train
With a west found gold
Tossed and turned in the waves
Down a dead end road
Lost my mind on purpose
To my find soul
Found there's only so much
You wanna see alone
And I can picture your silhouette
In the summer of no regrets
It felt like a thousand breathes a thousand steps
I knew right then and there that
I'd go anywhere with you
I'd go anywhere with you
I know you feel the same thing that I do
'Cause I'd go anywhere, anywhere with you
Anywhere, anywhere
Anywhere with you
Anywhere, anywhere
I slept under the pines
And they sang your name (and they sang your name)
Stared at the stars in the night
And I saw your face (and I saw your face)
And I can picture your silhouette
I sway in the sunset
It feels like a thousand breathes a thousand steps
I know right here and now that
I'd go anywhere with you
I'd go anywhere with you
I know you feel the same thing that I do
'Cause I'd go anywhere, anywhere with you
We were humming out the window
Running where the wind blows
Puffing cigars under the stars on theatre rooftops
Til the cops came
And I know that I was changed
Playing jokes on the people below
And I know that we'll never be the same
No we'll never be the same
'Cause I'd go anywhere with you
I'd go anywhere with you
I know you feel the same thing that I do
'Cause I'd go anywhere, anywhere with you
I'd go anywhere with you
I'd go anywhere with you
I know you feel the same thing that I do
'Cause I'd go anywhere, anywhere with you
Anywhere, anywhere, anywhere with you
Anywhere, anywhere
Anywhere, anywhere
Anywhere, anywhere
            --Mat Kearney, "Anywhere With You"



No comments: