Dec 29, 2021

92: The One for Mrs. Hopkins

 by Heather Rice

The author and Mrs. Hopkins


This is a Here in America first.  For the first time ever, I'm posting an entry not written by me.  The honor goes to my dear friend, Heather Rice, who wrote this moving tribute to our high school English teacher, the incomprable Wanda Hopkins. When it comes to Mrs. Hopkins, Heather spoke the hearts of those of us who loved Mrs. Hopkins far better than I ever could.  Thank you, Heather, for being willing to let me share your heartfelt memorial to an amazing teacher and an incredible person.

This woman was such an inspiration to so many people. She was someone who was proper, polished, polite and passionate about literature and poetry. Wanda was someone I truly couldn’t get enough of, because just being around her made you feel like you were a better person. She inspired me to want to be someone to other children, and because of her I aspired to be a great teacher too.
She was my teacher for both high school and college, and I believe she is the most amazing educator I have ever known. She didn’t care about you earning an A, she cared for hearts. I remember I was a poor (very poor) student, who cared more for my social life and sports than I ever did about my grades. Wanda took me aside and asked me why I didn’t believe I was a strong writer? She sweetly told me that I was such a creative and brilliant girl, and one of the best writers she ever knew, but she knew I wasn’t giving her my best. It was that moment that I woke up and started caring. Sadly, it was late in my high school experience, but It left an impact on me I’ll never forget.
Wanda crossed my path again in college, where I was blessed to have her for Comp I and II, and soon I called her a colleague, after I was hired to work with her at Florida Hospital College. That’s where she changed from a teacher I loved to my mentor and friend. For nearly two years we had weekly working lunches, where we would go on about life and trials and laugh at the most ridiculous things. She would always lean across the table and pray the most earnest, heartfelt prayers anybody ever heard. Wanda was such a dear friend she coordinated my wedding , even reading a poem she picked by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, “How Do I Love Thee?” I went and spent time with her a few weeks ago and I was blessed to be able to spend the afternoon reading that same poem to her, along with many she had us memorize in high school and beyond. What an honor to have been able to share that time with her. As I held her hand I whispered how much she meant to me in my life. I told her about the impact she had on me, and what her legacy truly was…one of love and kindness.
After our hilariously fun lunch dates Wanda would always finish, catching her breath from laughing and say, “Heather, when I get to heaven, I’m asking God to put my house right next to yours, so we can enjoy each other forever.” Wanda Hopkins, I can’t wait for the day when we are reunited and next door neighbors forever! I love you! Rest easy, beautiful friend! ❤️

No comments: