Jan 16, 2021

The Corona Chronicles: Risk Assessment

Is it safe out there?  How do we assess the risks and make our move?

 One of the tricks of this pandemic has been assessing risk. Without any kind of unified guidance each of us have been left to make our own decision based on our own research, gut instincts, need, and comfort level with risk.  We all know the basics: masks, social distancing, avoiding gatherings, but how much wiggle room is there?

At Thanksgiving and Christmas our family quietly made decisions that went against the prevailing wisdom. We are about as careful as anyone we know, but we decided despite the drumbeat of warnings across the land, to visit our families for both holidays. We spent a few days with Barbara's mother at Thanksgiving and about 11 days with my family in Florida for Christmas. On purpose, I didn't say much about these trips. No Facebook posts or photos (though those paying close attention might have picked up where we were), nothing on this blog. I felt a kind of responsibility not to encourage irresponsible behavior in others. If we were doing wrong, I didn't want to be responsible for leading others down that path. Hypocritical? Maybe.  But I also have refrained on passing judgement on others throughout this pandemic even if privately I feel their choices are unsafe and unhelpful.

The thing is, we took pains to assess the risks and minimize them. For both visits we went into a strict quarantine for the two weeks before each trip. We stopped going anywhere. Already we aren't around people much to begin with.  We've been teaching from home, we don't go to church. But when we started our quarantine we cut out grocery store trips and virtually any other kind of even brief contact with anyone else. The biggest reason I didn't make the trip to Texas to attend my friend Chandra's funeral was because of this quarantine. As much I as love Chandra and wanted to be there to mourn her, I couldn't give up the chance to see my mother who I hadn't seen in a year and a half or put her at risk.

Once there we continued to go nowhere and see no one other than our family (who had also quarantined and tested in the two weeks prior).  In Florida, we stayed with my sister and her family. My mom and brother who live close by and had also quarantined were the only other people we saw. We talked about a socially distanced, masked picnic outdoors with extended family but decided to forgo that.  I saw no friends, went to no stores or restaurants. We talked about going to the beach but ended opting against that as well.  We felt we were about as safe as it was possible to be. Yet, I'd always feel a twinge of guilt as I'd hear the continuous refrain of warnings on the news and social media about avoiding visiting family this holiday season.

Were we wrong? I don't think so, even though I'm sure there are those who will disagree (and others who will scoff that of course we weren't wrong! We were overcautious scaredy-cats to begin with! We should have done more!) Our planning was not without flaws. On the drive down to Florida there were numerous bathroom stops and though we planned to do drive through only for food and avoid going inside for restaurants we did up going inside for takeout Subway and Panda Express when we couldn't find ones with drive-throughs. But still on balance, we felt we'd reduced risk enough that we felt we had a good chance of dodging the virus for both ourselves and our families. Both visits were wonderful and now with more than two weeks out from our Florida visit and all parties still healthy, it looks like the gamble paid off.

I don't believe it's practical to eliminate all risk. The goal for me is to manage risk and reduce it. It's all about reducing the likelihood of contracting COVID and weighing that reduction against our practical and emotional needs. My bedrock policy for the most part is avoiding the big crowds in enclosed spaces for long periods of time that are the hallmarks of high risk in this pandemic. I mask up when at stores and other situations where I'll be around others briefly. Beyond that, I just try to assess the risk, minimize what I practically can, and keep on living. That's how we're getting through this, and so far, so good.

As of today there have been 23,437,428 total cases of COVID-19 in the United States. Another 6,960,157 new cases were added since December 14. We seem to be plateauing at more than a million cases a week, a rate that would have been unimaginable just a few months ago. Among them there more current and former students and their families. It's no longer uncommon to know lots of people who have contracted the virus and even know a few that have been hospitalized. This is a 42% increase in the number of new cases from November to December, and about 1.6 million fewer than I predicted. While I know of people who have died from the virus-family of people I know and friends of friends, no one I know well, personally has died from the virus. I hope it stays that way.  There have 389,944 deaths altogether from COVID-19, with 89,893 of those occurring in the past month. This is a 30% increase, 34,092 more deaths than from COVID than we had the previous month, and 20,881 more deaths than I predicted. The horrifying steady climb in deaths over the months this country is truly sobering.





If this rate of increase continues at its current pace, I  would expect 33,281,148 total cases by February 15 and a total of over half a million dead:  506, 927. 

The virus seems to have a pattern of visiting its terrors on certain regions of the country and then moving on to others: The hotspots seem to have moved south and west once again, reminiscent of last summer. California has been in the news for it's overstretched hospitals and friends on the ground at the California frontlines confirm this. Florida also is also seeing case numbers that dwarf last summer's surge. Meanwhile our benchmark states in the Midwest all seemed to have peaked already. However, as has been a pattern of this pandemic since the beginning the case numbers don't seem to recede to their previous levels creating a lovely bell curve. Instead they plateau at a higher new normal.  We see this happening in Ohio, Illinois and Nebraska.  Hawaii's numbers don't register on the graph, but the state has had it's second highest average weekly case numbers since September.

Total Cases:
Florida: 1,531,184 total cases, 405,261 new cases, an increase of 36%. This is almost 80,000 more cases than I predicted.  Prediction: Florida will reach 2,082,410 total cases by February 15, 2021.
Ohio: 807,293 total cases, 236,691 new cases, an increase of 41%. This is 345,332 fewer cases than I predicted. Prediction: This time Ohio joins the Million Case Club with 1,138,283 total cases by February 15, 2021.
Nebraska: 180,285 total cases, 31,241 new cases, an increase of 21%. This is 22,414 fewer cases than I predicted: Prediction: 218,144 total cases by February 15, 2021. 
Hawaii: 23,827 total cases, 4,525 new cases, an increase of 23%. This is 1,244 more cases than I predicted. Prediction: 29,307 total cases by February 15, 2021
Illinois: 1,055,617 total cases, 198,186 new cases, an increase of  23%. This is 273,401 fewer cases than I predicted. Prediction:  1,298,409 total cases by Feburay 15, 2021

Deaths in Florida have surged past previous records.  All other states have seen deaths more or less plateau in the past month. 



Total Deaths
Florida: 23,612 total deaths, 3,747 new deaths, an increase of 19%. This is 966 more deaths than I forecast. Prediction: 28,098 total deaths by February 15, 2021.
Ohio: 9,990 total deaths, 2,439 new deaths, an increase of 32%. This is 23 deaths more than I predicted, but statistically, I was correct.  Prediction: 13,187 deaths by February 15, 2021.
Nebraska: 1,873 total deaths, 484 new deaths, an increase of  35%. This is 572 fewer deaths than I predicted. Nebraska's rate of increase in deaths has finally slowed. Prediction: 2,529 total deaths by February 15, 2021. 
Hawaii: 315 total deaths, 43 new deaths, an increase of 16%. This is 20 fewer deaths than I forecast.  Prediction: 365 total deaths by February 15, 2021.
Illinois: 19,730 total deaths, 4,275 new deaths, an increase of 28%. This 2,216 fewer deaths than I predicted. Prediction: 25,254 total deaths by February 15, 2021.

There were not fewer deaths in all states as I had hoped. My predictions fell the same way they did last month. Florida and Ohio had more deaths than I predicted. The other three states had fewer. How will the new variants vs the new vaccines affect these numbers in the next month?  We shall see.

No comments: