May 17, 2014

Pass/Fail: The Sheep and the Goats (RSV-Revised School Version)

I developed this "revised" version of Jesus' classic sheep and the goats parable in Matthew 25:31-46 for one of my week of prayer talks on our mission to Saipan last month.  It is inspired by the fantastic retelling by Keith Green.  You can watch the video at the end.  It's about eight minutes long, but well worth the time, I think.

But when the son of Man comes in His glory and all the angels with Him, then he will sit on his glorious throne and all the schools will be gathered before Him and he will separate them one from another as the teacher separates those who will pass from those who will fail.  And he will put the passing students on his right and the failing students on his left. 

Then the King will say to those on His right, “Come you blessed of my Father inherit the kingdom prepared for you for you from the foundation of the world.  For I was hungry and you shared your lunch with Me. I fell down and you didn't laugh at me and instead helped me up.  I was a new kid and you invited me to play with you.  I was weird and the other kids made fun of me and you stood up for me.  I was annoying and you were patient with me.  I didn't understand how to do the homework and you helped me.

 The righteous will answer Him saying, Lord when did we see You hungry and share our lunch with you and when did You fall down and we helped you up.  And when were you the new kid and we invited you to play with us—I mean we invited everyone but I know we’d never forget that face.  And when were you weird and we stood up for you.  I mean that doesn't even seem right to say. Holy, Awesome, Majestic, but weird.  . .Lord, that couldn't have been you.  And when were you annoying or have trouble with Your homework and we helped you?

And the King will answer them saying, “Truly I say to you to the extent that you did it to even one of these brothers of mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me."

Then he will say to those on His left. “You thought detention was bad? Depart from me accursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.  For I was hungry and you shared nothing with me.  I fell down and you mocked me.  I was new in school and you ignored me because it was easier to just hang out with the people you were already comfortable with.  I was weird and when the other kids bullied me, you did nothing.  You were mean to me because you thought I deserved it for being annoying and you did not help me with my homework."

Then they themselves also will answer saying "Lord,  when did we see you hungry, Lord.  Are you hungry now?  Someone want to run out and get the Lord a hamburger and a coke?  And when did you fall down and we didn't pick you up. Lord, I’m sorry.  I don’t remember that.  I mean there was this one kid, and it was so funny. [snicker,snicker, snort,snort]  Sorry, sorry.  Was that You? Oh, Lord I didn't know.  And when were you a new kid?  Lord you know how it is. . . .And when were you weird or annoying.  That’s not fair.  We didn't expect you to be like that!  And Lord one more thing.  When did you ever need help with Homework? I thought you knew everything!"

Then He will answer them saying, “Truly I say to you , to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.”

And these will go away into eternal punishment but the righteous into eternal life.


No comments: