Jun 8, 2013

The Hiatus

Oh, did I mention I finished my masters degree in education?  I really have been gone a long time! (Though I actually finished last August.  Still I missed my commencement ceremony at Ohio Dominican University in December, and didn't get to officially celebrate my achievement until the annual Education Day "commencement" ceremony last weekend at our home church, Ephesus Seventh-day Adventist Church in Columbus).

Incredibly it's been over two months since my last post.  I don't think I've ever had such a gap between postings.  It's been long enough that I think I can officially declare my time a way a hiatus from Here in America.

It turns out blogging has become exponentially harder with two kids.  I now have a very narrow window each week in which I can blog--at least during the school year.  Friday night after the kids are in bed is the Golden Opportunity.  However all kinds of things conspire to take that time away:  If the boys go to bed late, then Blog Time may not begin until 9:00 P.M. or later. And if I'm exhausted from having not gotten enough sleep during the week, I'll either turn in early myself, or more likely, I'll stay up late browsing Facebook or bouncing around the web, because I'm too tired to write but apparently not tired enough to go to bed.  I will then end up sleeping late Sabbath morning and also need a Sabbath afternoon nap, thus using up the two possible remaining blog spots   And of course even if I don't need a nap (and really, even if I do), I often end up watching Ezra who is often awake while Elijah is napping on Sabbath afternoons.

All this adds up an unintended hiatus.  With summer vacation having finally arrived, I feel that I can at long last get back on the horse and start posting regularly again.   We'll see how it goes.

A lot has happened in the past two months.  A major highlight was the 8th grade class trip toNiagara Falls and Canada.  Another highlight that has yet to be chronicled was the third annual Heroes Reception and the accompanying visit by our good friend Mai, which took place in February.  I hadn't blogged about it because I was waiting to get some good photos of the event.  I think I'm about ready to move forward with that belated post now though.

  On a sadder note, there were two deaths: Barbara's aunt Betty, and Rose Pickering, the woman who cared for Elijah for the first year and a half after we moved to Columbus.

I also have unfinished posts from the past ten months covering a wide range of topics.  Titles include "The Easy Job", "What Money Can't Buy and Fame Can't Change", and "Trust and Obey."  I'm looking forward to finishing these posts and sharing my thoughts with you.

All of this and more will be covered in upcoming posts. It's exciting to be back, and I can't wait to get started.  In the meantime, it looks like Ezra may be getting restless in his bouncer, so if you'll excuse me, I've got to run. . ..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looking forward to it!

secretly relieved to hear that with two kids it's harder for others to find time for themselves too.

your sister :)