Jul 6, 2006

Family


This will probably be my favorite memory of the summer. Sitting on the porch of my uncle's unfinished home for a couple of hours on a lazy Sabbath afternoon.

Perhaps the best memories, the most precious times of this trip so far, have been the Sabbath lunches with my family. Two Saturdays ago we all sat around the table at mom and grandma's apartment after we'd eaten for an hour or two, listening to my uncle's telling stories of their motorcycle-riding days. Last Saturday, we went to my Uncle Robert's new house which he and my very pregnant aunt Diana just finished building. Everyone was there. . .or almost everyone, and after lunch we all drove out to the new house my Uncle Sy is building. It was still under construction and we wandered the rough, empty rooms imagining what the finished product would be like.




It was a day of new homes. We had lunch at Uncle Robert and Diana's brand new home in Apopka before heading over to Uncle Slimen's place under construction.
One of my favorite pictures.
My sister Dawn, my grandma, and my cousin Yvette


Diana poses in the doorway of her new home.

Looking down the stairs of Uncle Slimen's new home.
Uncle Slimen gives the grand tour. Here I gestures towards what will soon be a luxurious hot tub on his patio. I clumsily referred to it as a "one-man pool."

Babs and Dawn.

My mom...isn't she lovely!


Yvette and Me

Picture of a picture.
Dawn takes a snapshot of Uncle Robert and Diana.

My brother Vince and me.


Yvette and I looking at her notes in Phil Yancey's book Soul Survivor, while grandma looks on.

The view from Dawn's balcony across from the front door, next to the elevators


Babs and I spent about two quiet hours on Monday afternoon, July 3, browsing this trendy bookstore, UrbanThink, in Dawn's neighborhood. Before that we had lunch at Hue, a highly lauded restaurant, also in Dawn's neighborhood. The decor was very modern with towering ceilings, padded wall benches with 15 foot backs, and a vaguely industrial air. The pretentious atmosphere notwithstanding, the food was quite good. I had an excellent Mediterranean pasta, and Babs had a mahi mahi sandwhich.


Walking back to Dawn's place, approaching the back entrance.

I've done a lot of reading this summer. Check out the new reviews by clicking on the Maycock Media Mix link. Maybe you'll find a book YOU'D like to read this summer.

No comments: